Cry for help from Deborah


Cry for help from Deborah





Urgent message from the NCHR:

Dear Deborah,

We apologise that we are publishing your cry for help without your permission, however an e-mail reply that was sent to you was returned as undeliverable. Please contact the NCHR as soon as possible. Important information will be provided for you.


Ruby Harrold-Claesson
Attorney-at-law, Gothenburg, Sweden
President of the NCHR

June 1, 2001




Subject: Help!!!!
To: <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date: Thu,
31 May 2001 16:24:24 -0400


My name is Deborah and I am the mother of three children, ages 15, 12, 7, and 11 1/2 months. I was 20 years at the time of my oldest birth. In the years I have been raising my children, not one of them has had a broken bone until now. Unfortunately, it's my youngest. On March 26th, when I arrived to pick him up at the babysitter's house, she said she thought something was wrong with him and he should see the doctor. I immediately contacted my pediatrician's office and was informed that they were booked solidly and if I thought it was serious, I should take him to the emergency room, which I did. Following his examination, the doctor told me he had a broken leg, the femur to be exact. Upon questioning I told him the only injury he had recently was more than four days before when he fell off a 5-inch step to the ground in his walker. I was then informed that this was the hardest bone in the body to break and that he was/had contacted the Department of Youth and Family Services (DYFS). Since that time, my life has become a nightmare.

DYFS, without any investigation, immediately requested that the baby's father be removed from the house as they claimed we were talking abuse. Their doctor claimed the leg was broken during a time window of 7:00 A.M. and 9:00 A.M. based on the x-ray and the amount of swelling and that there was no bruise. They claimed this break must have been caused by a person and as I was out of the house with two of my other children, taking them to school, they assumed the baby's father was responsible. The baby remained in the hospital. The following day, the baby was medically discharged but DYFS would not consent to his return at that time. I have been placed on supervision, even though I was out of the house and away from the baby until 3:30 in the afternoon on the day they claimed the accident happened. The prosecutor said there was not enough evidence to bring charges against anyone regarding the incident. DYFS will not allow the baby's father back in the house

My sister has informed me that she has spoken with Lynn Crew, a supervisor of DYFS, who informed her that it could take 3 days to 3 weeks before an appearance before a judge. Statute 9:6-8.19(c) states: "The entire period of protective custody shall not exceed three court days."
It states: "on the filing of a complaint involving abuse or neglect pursuant to section 19 hereof, the court shall cause a copy of the complaint and a summons to be issued forthwith, requiring the parent or guardian with whom the child is residing to appear at the court within 3 days regarding the complaint" Why would DYFS say it could take as long as 3 weeks unless they intend to remove the children without the warrant, and then place them into foster care, unless they are trying to buy some time to continue their investigation prior to going before a judge. I am asking your intervention on behalf of my children. We have done nothing to deserve this. We have cooperated with everything DYFS has requested.

Dad and myself have been through an evaluation. We have submitted to interviews with both DYFS and the District Attorney. The baby's orthopedic surgeon has produced a letter saying he has seen no evidence of abuse to the baby nor has he reason to believe there has been any form of abuse to my other children. I have been informed by the nurse at the school my 15-year-old attends that my daughter had been requested to strip down to her underwear for these people in the nurse's office. If nothing else, that's an invasion of my daughter's privacy. She is certainly old enough to say whether or not she's been abused. She is also old enough to say she doesn't want to remove her clothes, especially, in the absence of a court order.

The practices of DYFS to subvert the law must be stopped. And now they have informed me that they are mandating in house counseling 3 hours a day for 6 weeks. We don't have a problem with that except for the fact that due to work schedules dad does not get home to approximately 9pm. They said that coursing can be from 9pm to 12am. I have to get up at 4am for work, due to the fact that I work 5:30am to 2pm. And after the 6 weeks they will again evaluate and decide whether or not Dad stays or gets removed permanently.

I am hoping for writing this that a lawyer will be interested in representing us, due to the fact that lawyers in my area in NJ will not take the case and also due to limited finances since I have been out on family medical leave without pay.


Back to Letters to the NCHR

Back to Main 

Realtime website traffic tracker, online visitor stats and hit counter